Monday, September 19, 2011

Recipe:

Tomato, Basil, & Mozzarella Salad: ( Caprese Salad )

If you are like me, at this time of year you have an over abundance of garden fresh tomatoes to use up before they go bad. The taste of a homegrown tomato compares to nothing else. Just slice up a few and put on a sandwich with some mayonnaise and salt and pepper or use on your favorite burger.  Ok I could go on and on about fresh tomatoes but here is a great recipe that I use all the time and I hope you will enjoy. This is the quintessential simple summer salad that I like to make for get-togethers or on a hot summer night as a side with dinner.

You will need:
3-4 Large ripe tomatoes
Mozzarella cheese
Basil
Olive Oil ( about 2 tsp )
Salt & Pepper
Balsamic Vinegar ( optional )

Directions:
Select 3 or 4 large ripe tomatoes from your garden ( or grocery store )
And cut in medium sized slices, Next slice the Mozzarella cheese the same way.
Pick a big bunch of basil leaves and use whole or julienne into strips.
Layer the tomatoes on a platter ( it is OK if they overlap one another ) then layer the mozzarella on top of the tomatoes. I like to place a whole basil leaf in between each tomato and mozzarella slice just sticking out so you can see it on the platter but you can put your basil on top at this point or spread in between layers.
Next drizzle olive oil over the entire salad and season with salt and pepper to taste. I also like to drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on my salad as well. It creates such a depth of flavor in this recipe that is outstanding.

Warm regards and love –
Erin